Hello, it’s me again with another Halloween project.
I purchased this 3 1/2″ x 3″ x 2 1/2″ paper mache chest from my local dollar store. I started with a coat of grey gesso (which later I paint over with Distress Paint in Black Soot). Also make up some faux wood by using smooshing Distress Oxide in Ground espresso and Distress Ink in Walnut Stain, let dry. I then run the inked up paper through Vagabond with a inked up ‘WoodGrain’ 662718 embossing folder. Tons of web tutorials on this, so I didn’t go into detail.
To make my wood slats I used the Sizzix Tim Holtz (TH) Alterations Tattered Banners die. They were the perfect size and love how the ends are so tattered. Each piece is then inked using Archival Black soot, this really is a crucial step. I then glued them down.
I am going to go into more detail about how I made the rusty metal strips and corners for the chest … First I cut TH Idea-ology Metal Kraft-stock using the Sizzix TH Vintage Valise 667219 steel rule die. Roughed up using sand paper, applied DP Black Soot and then rubbed back a tad. Tip, I got from Zoe Hillman, keep pieces in place using double sided tape 🙂
My next step is to randomly apply clear embossing solution and then used GunMetal embossing powder, if there was too much solution in areas I rubbed some off. I then used a heat gun and melted powder. In the picture below, I also added DP in Rusty hinge in some areas and then added Alcohol Ink in Pitch black where I wanted areas to stand out more.
I also used the Vintage Valise die to cut the corner straps from some of my reserved TH grungeboard (sorry, this is discontinued but TH textured substrate would work great, too).
With a palette knife I applied Ranger Texture paste purposely chunky and rough, not worrying about staying completely on the grungeboard because I knew I could use a craft knife to remove excess. While the paste was still wet, add embossing powder. I used Tea Dye and Ginger (by Ranger). Let dry naturally, then melt with heat gun.
I continued to add layers of DP in Rusty Hinge and Black Soot until I liked how my metal pieces looked. Final step was adding DP in Spiced Marmalade mainly on the corner hinges to highlight and add a third rusty color effect.
I added some texture to the TH Trophy Cups by first applying rock candy crackle, letting dry, applying alcohol ink in Mushroom and then adding gun metal embossing. I didn’t want to fill entire chest with goodies so I created a false bottom with a cut out for base of trophy.
Here come the close ups ….
For this strap and the two inner ones I used pieces from the TH Harlequin Grungeboard, added rock candy crackle, alcohol inks and brads to grunge it up. I am absolutely delighted with the way the metal strips and corner hinges turned out. Looks like this chest has been hidden for ages 🙂
With the exception of the coins (by Darice) I have used all Tim Holtz Idea-ology pieces (some colored with alcohol ink, some not). I have Baubles, Ball Chain, Boneyard, Vinette Base and Skull.
I do hope I have inspired you to have a go at a chest yourself. Thank you for visiting and have a blessed day 🙂
Wendy xo xo