Halloween Scene using WHAT base?

Hello crafters, thank you for visiting …

When I received my Tim Holtz Tonic Stamping Platform I could not throw away the box, it looked like the perfect shadow box/frame that I wouldn’t stress about altering. I was so excited I thought ‘why not take pics along the way and post for those that may have also kept their packaging looking for inspiration to do something with it’. So here is my process…………

Platform Box Scene.1ย Just perfect to get my ‘creep on’. The dimensions are 11.5″ x 13″ just in case you choose a different base ~ the internal depth is appx 1 1/4″.

IMG_0171

I painted the box with black craft paint and used it watered down in areas to give the aged look. The hands were purchased a few years ago from Micheal’s (I believe). They are actually meant to be stuck in the ground for outdoor use.

IMG_0173IMG_0175

I used THD (Tim Holtz Distress) Woodgrain card stock along with inks & sprays to give the paper color. Also grunged it up a bit to resemble distressed wood. I then used the ClawMarks Thinlet dies. This took quite a few passes in my Vagabond to get longer marks to show off more of what was going inside.

IMG_0185

These monster eyes will be placed in the crate. The 3-D eyes are by Recollections. I wanted a realistic vein look so I placed the eyes in a cellophane bag, dripped Red Pepper Alcohol ink down the side of the bag and then scrunched eyes around. Effects turned out perfectly IMO.

For the plastic chain I dripped THD paints randomly and wrapped it in deli paper to disperse the paint all over the chain. Then allowed to dry.

IMG_0191

The chandelier was a purchase I made about 10+ years ago from Dealers Discount (in Mi). I don’t know what they were originally meant for but they were clearanced for $1.70 at the time and I knew I would use them someday (I bought 8 of them, lol) I used Dina Wakley black gesso to creep it out, along with dry brushing THD Brushed Pewter paint when the gesso was dry.

IMG_0192

To give the box dimension I used THD Vintage Photo stain on wood veneer strips that I had leftover from building a dollhouse and glued them down onto THD grungeboard for strength. I then used gel medium to glue the crate in place.

IMG_0194

Coming together nicely…. The wallpaper was done with black cardstock then stamped using THD Oxide Iced Spruce and Skulls & Cobwebs (CMS306). The platform was used to move around the stamp due to the size is only being 4″ x 6″ and I needed a larger area covered. I am sure there is a 12 x 12 TH paper pad out there but I only have the 6″ x 6″ and making due with what I have on hand to get the project completed.

IMG_0195

I liked these images better for this project vs the ones that came in the framed portraits set. I stamped Ranger White Glacier Pigment pad using Cobwebs stamp and used vintage distress collage medium over the photos to add a little more age to them.

IMG_0196

I cut the skeleton arm on an angle then glued in place, added the chain, rusted up a lock using the same technique as the chain and added a web after using the thinlet die.

I wanted the effect of a tablecloth so I used gel medium on a piece from the paper stash, let dry, soaked in water and then removed the paper. Exactly what I was looking for ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0205IMG_0207

For the title I used TH plain alpha grunge board from many years ago. I ran them through a Xyron so I could stick them down to fancy them up by first putting a base of black gesso.

IMG_0209

I then used TH stencils, THD paints and crackle to decorate the letters. Happy was then glued down to black cardstock with the cobweb stamped on it due to I wanted to place this on top of the box and needed it to stand out a little.

IMG_0231

There it is completed ….. Here are some close ups ……..

IMG_0236

This is looking from the left side

IMG_0237

Looking from the right side.

IMG_0238

Looking from the top, right side.

IMG_0239

Looking from the top, left side…….. I wanted to show all the dimension that is happening with this piece.

IMG_0214

No house is complete without a clock, so I used TH ornate frame that was grunged up, stamped the clock from Ledger Script and used glossy accents.

IMG_0223

TH Idea-ology Halloween bits and pieces with the exception of the bag. The skulls are on the base plate from TH decorative domes, unfortunately the top fell and broke which of course was my last one. I may add it if I buy another, although the glass potion bottle adds the element of glass that was needed in this spot.

 

IMG_0217

I used TH ephemera pieces for the stickers and ticket on the crate, glued down with vintage collage medium.

IMG_0218

So creepy!

IMG_0253

The chain and lock look like they have been on there forever ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0242

With all the clawing, this bottle of blood fell over! This was done dripping hot glue then brushing some red pepper alcohol ink to color it up.

IMG_0221

I glued the happy to the top of the box and glued the halloween to the top front of the upper right corner. I also added angel hair to the piece to look like spider webs.

IMG_0248

Here it is on my shelf. I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0252

Thank you for looking! I hope I have inspired you to use a box you may have and if so,

be sure to share, comment and/or ask any questions you may have.

Have a Creepy Halloween!

Wendy

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s